As if there wasn’t enough fantasizing over Chris Christie by mainstream Left and moderate Republicans in 2013, it seems the trend has (sort of) continued into 2014. Normally, Christie is praised by the MSM as the “GOP man” who is the only person in the world who could possibly beat Hillary Clinton in the 2016 Presidential election. But it seems that the Christie-Clinton comparisons have gone a little to far, and Christie decided to act like a Clinton. How, you may ask? Well, it all starts with the Clinton families favorite word: S-C-A-N-D-A-L.
It goes like this:
1. Two lanes of the George Washington Bridge in Fort Lee, New Jersey were closed (causing lots of traffic on said bridge) last September for four days in a Mayor Mark Sokolich’s (D) district- a man who refused to endorse Christie during his re-election campaign in 2013.
2. Christie denied that his office was involved in the closing of the lanes and that political revenge was in no way taking place.
3. However, it was revealed through The New York Times Wednesday that Governor Christie’s top aid, Bridgette Anne Kelly, had sent emails and texts personally ordering the lane closures to punish Mayor Sokolich for his decision which could’ve effected Gov. Christie’s election results– SPOILER: He won.
4. As you may have expected, Christie’s next step was firing Ms. Kelly.
5. Thursday morning, Governor Christie held a press conference profusely apologizing for the actions of his top aid and stating his own anger about the incident.
“What I’ve seen today for the first time is unacceptable. I am outraged and deeply saddened to learn that not only was I misled by a member of my staff, but this completely inappropriate and unsanctioned conduct was made without my knowledge. One thing is clear: this type of behavior is unacceptable and I will not tolerate it because the people of New Jersey deserve better. This behavior is not representative of me or my Administration in any way, and people will be held responsible for their actions.”
One thing every American has learned over the past couple of years (dare I say… five?) is that every politician has a scandal or two. Bill Clinton, Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton, Bob McDonnell, Bill Clinton, Chris Christie, Bill Clinton, and did I mention Bill Clinton?
In all seriousness, this whole issue has been blown way out of proportion and is only getting the media attention it is because the Left wants Governor Christie to be the GOP nominee in 2016. They will do absolutely anything to avoid a man like Ted Cruz or Rand Paul even nominated, much less elected POTUS in three years. Christie’s involvement is questionable to put it mildly, but “trafficgate” as it has come to be known will have its day.
Although Gov. Christie isn’t in my personal “Top 5 Favorite Politicians,” I do have to commend his efforts to get in front of this scandal from the get go. The moment Ms. Kelly’s actions were revealed, he was open with the people of New Jersey– something Sen. Weiner, SOC Clinton, Presidents Clinton and Obama, and Gov. McDonnell should’ve done when facing their own respective scandals. Letting the story get traction and run wild in the mind of the public does nothing but hurt the politician. So kudos Gov. Christie…sorta.
Follow Julia Porterfield on Twitter at @JK_Porterfield.