The battle between those who support abortion and those who are against it seems never-ending. With Planned Parenthood’s problems in the news recently, I think it’s time to look at the reasons why abortion is wrong in any way you look at it. Here are 10 responses to pro-choice arguments:
1. “Abortion is less dangerous than childbirth” or “abortion is done to save the life of the mother.”
Every abortion results in a death of an unborn child. Additionally, science has proven that for women who have had an abortion, there is a higher risk of miscarriage in future pregnancies.
2. “It’s not a baby” or “Personhood begins when the fetus is viable”
This is a flat-out denial of science. At the moment of conception, new DNA of a new human being is produced, and a new life begins. The heart starts beating no less than 18 days into the pregnancy and can be heard and seen in an ultrasound at eight weeks.
3. “Abortion is a ‘women only’ issue.”
For every child whose life is taken due to an abortion, there is a man with lost fatherhood.
4. “Abortion is a human right.”
Do you remember that document called the Declaration of Independence? “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.” To call abortion a “human right” is to say that humans are not all created equal and that life (ended by abortion) can be given or taken away by people rather than God.
5. “It’s my body, my choice” or “Reproductive choice empowers women by giving them control over their own bodies.”
Really? Your body has four arms, four legs, four eyes, four ears, two noses, two mouths…? Do I need to continue? The baby has his/her own body, with his or her own human DNA, independent of yours. He or she is not “your body.”
6. “I’d rather be merciful and abort the baby than allow him/her to feel unwanted or unhappy in life” or “A baby should not come into the world unwanted.”
There are plenty of families in the world wanting and waiting to adopt a baby that the mother is unable to care for or does not want.
7. “The baby doesn’t feel pain in an abortion.”
Science has proven that, beginning at anywhere from 16 to 20 weeks, babies can feel pain.
8. “Abortion is safe.”
Abortions can cause complications later on. Women who have an abortion have a 50 percent increased risk of breast cancer, a doubled risk of an ectopic pregnancy, a higher chance of miscarriage, and many other problems.
9. “Abortion is moral.”
Seeing as the definition of fetus is “an unborn human baby” and embryo means “unborn baby/child,” I think it’s fair to say that when an abortion is performed, you are ending the life of another human.
10. “Mind your own business.”
Is it really okay for you to use my tax money for something that goes against my beliefs?